Re: bpl12 Suggestions

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 08/18/97

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Jeremy Elson wrote:

>What I've been mulling over lately, actually, is an all-C++ mud using
>POSIX threads, one thread per player, with a compiled worldfile format
>more or less resembling C ... but that is such a major change that the
>MUD would probably no longer be "CircleMUD".  The worldfile format
>I've been thinking of is something like:

Ahh, one thread per player could be evil...just image what could happen:
someone in the middle of doing an 'at' command could be attacked.
(current) buffer system would go down the toilet. (Although for this you
would probably be using c++ log classes with fancy locking and things.)
die in the middle of an autosave,
etc

Although it does have the advantage that WAIT_STATE would be easy.
One thread to handle sockets, input, and output.
Another thread to have players use that input and send back output.

Then build up to 1 thread per person if wanted.

World stuff looks good, never did like that big block of numbers in Diku
files.

--
greerga@muohio.edu me@null.net | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity
http://www.muohio.edu/~greerga | is not thus handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard