Re: bpl12 Suggestions

From: Franco Gasperino (awe@CET.COM)
Date: 08/18/97

> From: Doppleganger Software <doppsoft@JUNCTIONNET.COM>
> To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
> Subject: Re:  bpl12 Suggestions
> Date: Monday, August 18, 1997 5:53 PM
>
> >I've already got "threaded" combat (read: event based)... the problem
> >with going all threads is that you loose MacOS, Win95, and most likely
> >WinNT support, plus stability/performance on other systems that have
poor
> >threading.
>
> Don't be too sure on the mac aspect.  Macs have a Thread Manager
> extension that takes care of this.  You just have to access it.  I
> personally don't know how to do this, but you can do it.  Also, I heard
> NT has threading capabilities, but I haven't heard anything on Win 95.

  I think the point trying to be made is that currently, to port from one
OS
to another only requires minor changes. A few typedefs, ifndefs, and other
small differences (WSADATA for windows sockets, ect). Multithreading
is a different story.
  _Maybe_ windows NT could handle POSIX threads, but im not certain.
95 and Mac couldnt, although they could handle threads with their own
libraries and calls. But this, plus critical sections and other like
topics,
would be a vastly bigger project than what the porting currently is
(imagine a cooperative OS like mac and win3.1 needing calls to other
system activity so the box doesnt crash..).

Franco Gasperino
Cutting Edge Communications
509-444-INET
http://www.cet.com/