Re: Reboot-only items

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 08/19/97

> >         Stock circle does not come with reboot-only items, though if
> > you're tricky, you can make use silly things like a no-reset zone, etc.
> > How about we make it a little different then, and add a RARE flag.  Here's
> > the guts of it...
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >         ie, it won't load up unless the mud has been running for under a
> > minute - or a minute exactly.
>
> I think I'm going to have to take issue with the premise of a reboot-only
> item.  As it is, all the DIKU-derived MUDs I've seen place way too much
> emphasis on the importance of crashes.  We're not forgetting that crashes
> aren't supposed to happen, are we?  They certainly shouldn't be something
> players fear (crash deaths) or hope for (object loading).  If they have
> to exist, and of course they always will, their impact on the world
> should be minimized, not expanded.
>
>   Tie object loading to a random number generator at a specified
> percentage.  Don't tie it to the number of items in the game.  For high
> powered items, actually remember if they loaded or not, and restore the
> game state after a crash.  Save and restore player corpses.  The ultimate
> goal should be that the total effect of a crash is loss of 2 minutes
> playing time.

        Actually, i'd combine this type of a flag with a no_load flag so
that way no lower immos could ever bring it up.  And as much as i'd like
for my system to NEVER crash, I know thats a far-away goal. In the
meantime, why not give people a reason to actually LIKE crashes. Besides,
I don't think I like having a percentage load, when i specifically just
want one per session. Ie - keep it rare, but not unattainable.

                                                PjD