Re: [ Problem ] Areas changing...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/28/97

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, David Klasinc wrote:

-+I just want to hear others opinion should this be done in real world? I
-+mean real world mud, that is running and players are playing... Because, a
-+lot of them have pre-made dirs and they speedwalk to the different
-+locations... So adding one more room which was not there before... Would
-+mixed up all of their dirs.. ;> Pretty nasty... I think that players would
-+hate it...

Isn't this the very essence of the Art of Administrating (or the Zen if
you want to be a bit more oriental; and really, who doesn't?)...?  The
Art/Zen of Administating a MUD is to piss-off the players enough to make
them grumble, but not enough to make them leave.  In otherwords, change
it for the harder, and they'll grumble, but if you don't (a) make a complete
mess out of the game, (b) really piss them off; they stick around and
continue to play, and eventually they forget about how angry they were
over you making the game harder, providing them new obstacles.  And it
just becomes a way of life to account for that one obstacle; and then
you spring another on them, and they play through that...

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks so (which I wouldn't doubt).

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.