Re: The correct way to end the line <199708292334.PAA27575@icefog.polarnet.com>

From: Jeremy Elson (jelson@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 08/29/97

Gary Barnett writes:
>The correct syntax (references follow) IS: \r\n
>\r = carrage return (CR)  \n = line feed (LF)
>
>RFC References:
>
>>From RFC 1184:       (relevant to line mode.. the mode Circle uses)
>
>5.3 Output processing
>
>   Regardless of what mode has been negotiated, the server side is
>   responsible for doing all output processing.  Specifically, it should
>   send "CR LF" when it wants the "newline" function, "CR NUL" when it
>   wants just a carriage return, and "LF" when it wants just a linefeed.

Thanks for quoting this RFC -- \r\n is indeed correct (and, as old
DOS hackers know, DOS uses CRLF to terminate lines, too.)  The
original Diku incorrectly used \n\r, and Merc inherited this
incorrect behavior (as someone recently pointed out on this thread).
One of the changes I made between 2.20 and 3.0 was to go through the
entire source and change all \n\r's to \r\n's after deciding that
compatibility with older Dikus wasn't as important as compatibility
with the rest of the world.

Now, if only we could get Microsoft to fix their stuipd telnet applet
to support line-mode telnet -- which is *mandated* by the RFC (in
fact, mandated to be the *default* mode unless the telnet server
requests character mode!)

-j