Re: [ Problem ] Areas changing...

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 08/30/97

On Sat, 30 Aug 1997, Andrew Helm wrote:

-+Perhaps the reason why this fallacy of thinking is so prevelant is
-+how much easier it makes it on the mud's administrator. It is easier
-+to be hostile towards your players instead of understanding,
-+but it violates the primary element of a healthy mud: the mutual
-+enjoyment that is shared by both the administrator and the players.

Hostile to your players? Where did you get that word? While I'm quite
impressed at how you pulled that rabbit out of your hat, it did come
from your hat, not mine. Interpreting what I said as a vote for
mistreatment of players is ridiculous. You seem to understand, and
then you seem to miss the whole point.

-+Studying our words can help us understand our underlying intentions
-+and motivations. I hope you will reconsider whether "how much you
-+piss-off your players vs. how much you can before they leave" is
-+really the same as creating challenges for your players which will
-+increase their enjoyment. After all, one can easily make decisions
-+which will frustrate the players without adding to their enjoyment
-+of the mud.

Ah, and your constant nit-picks over how someone phrases things is a
clear indication of your raging lust for simians...Thank you Dr. Helm,
should I be paying you for these therapy sessions, now?

Let's get this clear, I say that when you provide features to your
game that are challenging, often times your players will become
pissed-off, because they're quite set in their ways of freq'ing
areas (meaning frequenting an area, something like Rome in stock 2.2 for
those of you that have been around :). But the challenge, or the Art
of Administration is providing these players challenges in proper
moderation and sanity, so that the game is still playable, even though they
do groan about it. Hence, I must mean that I am a sadist that likes
to play out grotesque fantasies of enraging complete strangers over a
mud...of course, it's all so clear now...

--
Daniel Koepke -:- dkoepke@california.com -:-  [Shadowlord/Nether]
Think.