Re: [Way Off Topic] C++ Mailing List?

From: Michael J. McGillick (mike@DUNGEON-MASTER.COM)
Date: 09/01/97

David Eliott wrote:

> Since I dont have Access to Newsgroups, does anyone know of a C++
> Mailing list? Or any IRC Servers with good Programming Channels? Because
> I dont want to bother the list anymore with C++ Specific questions, and
> I do seem to be having some troubles...
>
> If anyone has good advice for me, write me... And if you just want to
> tell me RTFM, then I'll just tell you that I have all the books I need,
> and I've read them... But sometimes things just get harder than what
> books cover... or at least the ones I have.

As a personal project of mine, I decided to take the stock Circle code,
and convert it slowly over to C++.  I am a fairly good C programmer, but
fairly new to C++.  What I would really like to do is to get some
over to C++.  From viewing the messages on the list, I can see that some
people understand the language inside and out, and others, like myself,
could really benefit from their knowledge.  I would be more than happy
to maintain a list of people interested in sharing ideas and approaches
to solving problems.  If you're interested in something like this,
please drop a short email letting me know.

First question - Can anyone recommend a good book that explains
sockets?  I'm trying to understand in depth what the code does right
from the the first command in main().  It's amazing how the Circle MUD
code shows you just how little you thought you knew :)