Re: Spells and manacost

From: Co-Sysop (dmodem@CYBNETONLINE.COM)
Date: 09/12/97

At 12:57 AM 9/10/97 +0200, Rasmus Roenlev wrote:
>Ok, I'm not sure if I made myself clear in the initial posting. What I
>ment was, that when you receive a level you also receive an amount of
>hp, mana and movement points. Now, consider the fact, that the spells you
>cast are also getting cheaper to cast. This means you get a double
>benefit. Personally I think this is wrong. In DikuMUD you got the lower
>mana-cost as a result of not getting any mana-points each time you
>leveled. You do however get the extra mana each level in CircleMUD, and
>thus I am set to beleave, that this is a MS like 'feature' :)
>So, either one should scrap the mana gained each level, or one should
>scrap the mana-change stuff... This is ofcourse just my oppinion, but I
>think it is a pretty decent way to implement the spell-casting and mana
>cost system instead of what it is now.

>Ok, as refered to earlier, you're supposed to be bad at casting a spell at
>the beginning. Well, in essence you're as good as you prac'ed it to... I
>mean practicing is becomming better at casting the spell if I'm not
>mistaken entirely... Furthermore you already get the bonus of being able
>to cast the spell cheaper relative to your mana as it increases while you
>level. This is why I think the mana-change is obsolete. It was part of a
>spell-system, where you stayed at 100 mana all the time. Ok, you could add
>mana with APPLY_MANA like objects, but that was it.

Your idea is perfect if the player only knows one spell.  Logically, as you
practice a spell you would get better at casting that spell and become a
better spellcaster in general.  So... while you don't *HAVE* to get more
mana as you level but with more mana you could use new spells more time
because you are an experienced spellcaster.  Just like coding.  You play
around with one program for a while and not only learn that program but also
learn more about how to code other programs.

It's your MUD, not mine.  do whatever you want.  make people spend gold to
regen mana if you want.  I can't garantee it will make people want to play,
but not every MUD has to be successful.

ObGameBalance:

I recently added a few levels (now have 71 mortal 4 immortal) and of course
the stock zones don't even come close to being tough enough for higher level
players.  So obviously I have been rushing to add new areas (doubled my
building speed thanx to Shadowsoft CircleMUD World Editor [
www.connect.ab.ca/~rbmstrk ]) but I am afraid that I might be totally
throwing off the balance of the MUD.  Does anyone have any hints to help me
keep my MUD balanced?  Like how much hp, hitroll, damroll, exp to give mobs
and what stats are a good idea for equipment. I have looked through some of
the stock worlds but I haven't really found a good way to determine what
stats to give objs and mobs.  Any input (flames are not input) would be
appreciated.