larger than 32 bit ints and OS's

From: Jason Fischer (jasonf@COMPUMEDIA.COM)
Date: 09/24/97

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Daniel Whelan wrote:

> >  I think it means that most OSes and processors that people run MUDs
> >off of are 32 bit (windows, most verions of unix, ect). Some servers with
> >the right OS are capable of 64 bit integers, which means your bitvectors
> >used can be 0 - 63, if the platform supports it, when some are 16 bit
> >signed integers because of older OSes (win 3.1, dos, ect).
>
> Do you know what the MacOS, MkLinux, RedHat Linux, and SlackWare Linux use?

I'm not 100% on MacOS, or MkLinux, but RedHat and SlackWare are 32bit.  As
far as I know the only redily available 64 bit OS's are a port of Linux to
the ALPHA, a flavor of SunOS (or was it slowaris?), and I think Digital
has a 64bit version of DGUX.

In order to have more than 32 bits in an integer you need to have two
cases.  One, you have to be on a hardware platform where the CPU has
registers greater than 32 bits.  Two, a compiler that produces 64 bit
code.

As always flame^H^H^H^H^H correct me if I'm wrong. =)

--
Jason Fischer          |  "Here rests in honored glory an American soldier
jasonf@bugger.it.all   |  known but to God." - Tomb of the Unknown Sodlier