Re: exp system from "Rich Chiavaroli" at Oct 1, 97 11:28:19 pm

From: Andrew Helm (ashe@IGLOU.COM)
Date: 10/02/97

[snip]
> First, has anyone implemented an exp limit per kill that is something
> different than just a percentage of exp_to_level()? Thats the way I
> limited it but the more I look at it, the more it seems to be to
> restrictive. I just haven't been able to come up with an idea that
> didn't have holes or ways to beat the system other than doing..

There really isn't a good way to do it. Ideally there's no need
for experience caps since players can't kill something above
their abilities, yet through equipment, spells, or other such aid
players can realistically kill mobs they shouldn't, assuming that
the rest of the mud isn't balanced. Which brings up a good point:
if one relies heavily on experience caps it is a sign that
other aspects of the mud are severly imbalanced. The same is
true of level limits on equipment.

Let's take a look at a system that keeps these points in mind.
The first step is the hardest: determine how fast a player
should be advancing in levels. Naturally this should only be
viewed as a guideline since a mud in which everyone advances
at the same carefully prescribed rates isn't much fun at all.
Where you put mobs, how many you put there, and how much
experience they give is all dependant on the rate players
should be advancing. A few mobs who give high amounts of
experience but are located in a remote, slow to repop area
do not imbalance a mud. Nor do many low experience giving
mobs in closeby areas imbalance a mud.

It's common to balance how much experience a mob gives but
less common to see mobs placed carefully or even areas
themselves placed in a way to insure balance.

Now that I've given my little balancing spiel it's time to
get to the part that's will make a mud balanced: logging.
Set your experience caps liberally high, and log where and
when players get more experience than they should.
(Note: A pet peeve of mine is implementors who don't leave
room for variation. If a single player has hit upon a unique,
unforseen way to gain experience quickly then let him do it.
It's only when a significant number of people are involved
that you need to step in and change things. Think bell curve. :)

[snip]
> Second, I was thinking about replacing the practice system as it is now.
> it always seems that a player can eventually practice all his/her
> spells/skills. You might as well give the player the full ability
> once they reach the level where they can pracice it. What I was thinking
> about doing is making each practice cost exp.
[more examples of xp being used to buy stuff snipped]

Cool idea! :)

In fact, why not just take it a step further and do away with levels
all together. If you think about it levels are just a way of
saying you trade experience for advancement of your character.
Instead of getting the extra hitpoints, thac0, etc in one bundle
let players spend their experience in any manner they want. Players
will be able to customize their characters according to what they
see as important. The cost would depend, of course, on how advanced
the player already is in whatever area they're spending the
experience on. Anything which depends on levels, such as dispel
magic, could be based on an arbitrary number that represents
how advanced a player is "overall".