Re: exp system

From: Rich Chiavaroli (rchiav@FRONTIERNET.NET)
Date: 10/02/97

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, George wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Andrew Helm wrote:
>
> >There really isn't a good way to do it. Ideally there's no need
> >for experience caps since players can't kill something above
> >their abilities, yet through equipment, spells, or other such aid
> >players can realistically kill mobs they shouldn't, assuming that
> >the rest of the mud isn't balanced. Which brings up a good point:
>
> High level players will often beat a mob into mortally wounded for the
> lower level character to strike the killing blow.  I'd say that's killing
> *way* above their level.

Well a low level player could also group with a player who's 50 levels
higher and gain 20 levels in 10 minutes. I suppose you could put a +-
limit on grouping but thats just another restriction that doesnt
make sense. Hey, I think I just may have come up with something....

If you kill a mob thats at your level or say, 3-4 levels above, you should
get maximum exp. but if you kill a mob that 20 levels ahead of you,
you're probably not doing it on your own and is somewhat of a real
life comparison... If you are working on the CircleMUD code and you
implement a spell, and thats the level of your coding, you learned
something and gained expierence. If you sit there and watch someone
rewrite the socket handeling and it's nothing you coiuld come close to
doing on your own, you really don't get much value from it. You
get some expierence but it's the full amount becuase your persional
expierece level isn't at the point where it can be fully benificial.
Sooooo.. How does having somewhat of a curve where the the optimum level
for mob to be that you kill is 4 levels above you. After that, you start
to lose a percentage of the exp that the mob has to offer? So you will
not get what a higher level player will get for killing hte same mob
but it doesn't put a "cap" on the max exp you can get per kill per level.
How does that sound?

-Rich