Re: exp system

From: Co-Sysop (dmodem@CYBNETONLINE.COM)
Date: 10/02/97

At 02:21 PM 10/2/97 -0400, Rich Chiavaroli wrote:
>Well a low level player could also group with a player who's 50 levels
>higher and gain 20 levels in 10 minutes. I suppose you could put a +-
>limit on grouping but thats just another restriction that doesnt
>make sense. Hey, I think I just may have come up with something....

Why not try this?
Have the mud calculate how much exp each person in the group should receive
based on the levels of the other group members.  here is an example:

kitten (level 1)
puppy (level 2)
are both grouped.  They want to gain exp.
Hellspawn (level 30)
joins up with them and starts killing cityguards.
Hellspawn receives want he/she would normally get from the mob
kitten gets what Hellspawn would normally get from the mob
puppy gets what Hellspawn would normally get from the mob
Notanewbie (level 50) (remember I use more than just stock levels)
joins the group and starts killing thebigmob.
Notanewbie gets what he/she would normally get from the mob
Hellspawn gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
kitten gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
puppy gets what Notanewbie would normally get from the mob
This way no one can get more exp than the highest level player in the group
gets and the highest level player in the group can't exactly go around
killing things 20 levels higher than his/her level to get an outragious
amount of exp.  As for getting a newbie supergood eq, there are already ways
to level restrict equipment.

Also, something I have noticed about groups (in stock circle) is that if you
are not grouped you can about 18 exp from a fido and when you group with
yourself (group all when no one is following you) you might get 24 exp from
a fido.  On bigger mobs this difference is much larger, basically grouping
with yourself gets you more exp than not grouping with yourself.  This is a
veteran player's best trick for gaining levels.  I think in bpl12 this
problem should be addressed but I really haven't done much to change it
(maybe it was done for a reason?)