Re: Spellcasting... an end to mana

From: Co-Sysop (dmodem@CYBNETONLINE.COM)
Date: 10/20/97

At 01:58 PM 10/16/97 +1000, you wrote:
>Myself, I'm planning on implementing a Magic: the Gathering style system
>(in keeping with the theme of the MUD), but that's very long term. It'd
>involve randomly giving a mage a spell they've researched every tick or
>so, up to a max of seven. they can then cast one of these seven spells
>whenever they want to.
>
>Note that this slightly contradicts my opinion of AD&D's magic system,
>but o well, I didn't claim to be consistent. The random thing could be
>fun, anyway. You make a "deck" of 60 spells, any of which can turn up in
>your mind each tick. Blah.

I think this is a very good idea.  It won't exactly work with my MUD (maybe
I should start a second mud...).  You could also get items involved more
with spells (artifacts).  You could end up with some balance problems
though.  It wouldn't be long before someone realized that "Library of
Leng(Ling?)"  is a very good object to have.  Magic: The Gathering is a
very complex game .  Coding a MUD based on it wouldn't be impossible just
somewhat difficult.  There are a lot of things to consider when trying to
make a MUD like this but I think it would be worth the trouble.