Re: Bpl13 suggestion

From: Erik & Tanya Niese-Petersen (Tenp@CRIS.COM)
Date: 10/31/97

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Jeremy Elson wrote:

> Edward Glamkowski writes:
> >>More seriously, I'm all for entirely removing the auto title thing
> >>from stock.
> >
> >I agree with everything that has been said about removing
> >auto-titles.  I also removed it from my mud.  Dump 'em :)
>
> Boy, times sure have changed...
>
> I remember as a freshman in college, in '91 (Diku has just come out),
> those titles were a part of the role-playing aspect of the game.  The
> original Diku code does *not* show you the level and class of players
> in the 'who' list -- the idea of putting a [34 Mu] at the beginning of
> the line was one of the "cool" enhancements that certain MUD imps
> added (and an enhancement that was later picked up by code bases like
> Circle).

Yep.. The good old days :)  Still dont see it on some MUDs like AlexMUD.
Only immortals there have the possibility to change titles. (Tho some
special cases the mortal can have a title change but then always end up
with [Class level])

> When you typed "who", the only way you knew the level and class of a
> player from their title.  It was really part of the role-playing charm
> and went a long way towards trying to make the mud less "numeric" --
> i.e. a game that always shows you imaginary descriptions ("some cuts
> and bruises") instead of cold, hard numbers ("[HealthVector = 95%]).
> Of course, users couldn't change their titles; the "title" command was
> another popular enhancement that came along later.

Personal I think mrotals should only see text. No numbers. And thats for
everything, Stats, health, AC, etc.. Force those lazy butts to think :)

> But I guess these days, people would scream bloody murder if they
> couldn't set their titles, or if they were required to use a player's
> title to divine his level and class, so they are probably obsolete.

Which is so stupid. Mortals now of days have it to easy.
I would rather see something like this:

Zilk Quintium the healer apprentice.
  |     |          |           \___ level/exp.
  |     |          \___ Class
  |     \___ Lastname. Asked for at creation.
  \___(First)name. Asked for at creation just like now.

But I guess it's becoz I'm "the old generation" :)

Erik Niese-Petersen
AKA Quint the Typo Dane