Re: {NEWBIE] [WIN95] Help!!! (sorry if this message comes 2 times..)

From: Baktor Silvanti (baktor@BEDFORD.NET)
Date: 11/08/97

Hobsie wrote:

> (i had problems with my email programm it hanged when i sent the first
> one?? =(  )
>
> Hi!!
> Im a "newbie" in mud pogramming in C++ and dont know much, but i have easy
> to learn i think.. I in genrealy programms using Borldand Pascal 7.0 (and
> Assembler) and have made a Mud using that to comunicate with windows
> winsock.dll (WSock32.dll)?? hehe, and it all works fine. But i want to
> learn how a "real" Mud works and all i have found is written in C. But that
> shouldnt stop me.. I just bought me MVC++ V4.0 but i just cant seem to get
> the circle code to compile.. I have wery litle knowledge in C, but as i
> sayd earlyer i want to learn it.. And i have seen many people on this
> mailing list that have the code running just fine on theire Win95 so im
> just wiondering if anyone could mailme the conf.h and makefile they used to
> get it compile under there Win95.. and i would be wey glad =).
>
> Yes and one more thing, i dont seem to have the include files etc.
> sys/time.h
> arpa/telnet.h
> crypt.h
> net/errno.h
> sys/fcntl.h
> sys/select.h
> sys/time.h
> uninstd.h
>
> and im wondering where i can download emm. =)
> or are they in my install disc for MSVC++???? i didnt install all the stuff
> on it.. Didnt suppose i needed emm all =( cuz my drive arent that big.. =P
>
> Well for all those who wonders why the heck he write so strange?? =P
> Yes im from sweden and my english arent that good.. hehe sorry..

lo and all that:

Few things on win95 and the mud.  1.  Everything you need is in the .zip
file in the circlemud ftp directory.   2.  compile it by going into dos
and then goto the src directory and renaming the confh.win (i think
that's it) to conf.h and makefile.win to makefile.  After that you
should be able to run the batch file in MSVC to start your dos related
variables needed for compiling under dos.  Then goto src again and type
nmake.  (if anybody can get the mud to compile inside the MSVC developer
studio--I'd like to know how.)  it should compile everything down ok..
The problem you are having looks like you are just including all the
files into the project and comiling straight.  This definatly doesn't
work as you may have noticed do to the unix specific files you mentioned
are missing.  Don't look for them as win95 has different files for the
same thing.(you don't need them anyways if you compile it right).  Well,
if you still have problems give a hollar again and i can step you
through it more specifically if you need to.

there, that's my two cents on that today.

Baktor Silvanti