Re: [CODE] [CRAZY IDEA]

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 11/08/97

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Raymond P. Steigerwalt Jr. wrote:

->Hrm.. i wonder if [CRAZY IDEA] is a group?? oh well anyways, i have a
->crazy idea for a useful thing for my mud, a 'warm boot' function to
->reboot the mud and just freeze up the players for like a little bit, if
->this would be possible i have absolutly NO idea how to go about doing
->it, but if anybody wants to do it, could they give me a few pointers?

Wow, what a crazy idea...that was already thoroughly discussed some
time ago on this list (I think it was this list).  It doesn't involve
too much, actually.  I think it was mainly just saving the online
player data (that is, which players are online, where are they logged
in from, descriptor, etc.), calling execv() to restart the server with
a special command line option, and having the MUD restart, skip
initiation of the socket, go through the file with the saved
information from players from last boot, and create the proper
descriptor_data and char_data structures.

daniel koepke / dkoepke@california.com