Re: [CODE] [CRAZY IDEA]

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 11/09/97

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> ->crazy idea for a useful thing for my mud, a 'warm boot' function to
> ->reboot the mud and just freeze up the players for like a little bit, if

> time ago on this list (I think it was this list).  It doesn't involve
> too much, actually.  I think it was mainly just saving the online
> player data (that is, which players are online, where are they logged
> in from, descriptor, etc.), calling execv() to restart the server with
> a special command line option, and having the MUD restart, skip

I've ported my copyover code, and even made a patch for Circle (pl11
however). It's available from my homepage and probably the Circle ftp site
somewhere. Note that the version with Circle patch in it is version 5.

Next generation: copy all allocated data to shared memory and after reboot
reinitalize all lists, so that not only do players not lose link, but
nothing happens to the game world :) (This of course is only possible as
long as none of the structures change size).

Or, let the memory/string manager allocated data in shared memory directly
:)

When data does not have to be loaded, but just the executable, it'll just
take a second to reboot :)