Re: Circle's net protocol

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 11/10/97

At 09:42 AM 11/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>For a working example of UDP for a mud in motion, check out MUME.
>>No lag, is faster, no noticeable packets out of order. Less load on the
>>computer cunning the mud, and is over seas, log distance.
>
>>ptah.lnf.kth.se 4242
>

>Hrm..... I telneted just fine to this mud, are you sure it is UDP?
>If so, these claims about needing a special client cant be true.
>*ponder*

Well, I suppose it is possible, but I've never heard of a normal
telnet client that speaks UDP. At any rate, across a wide area network,
I challenge anyone to show me empiracle data that shows UDP to be faster
than TCP and just as reliable. (Sorry, I'm sticking with... hrm, its either
Comer or Stevens that explains why there is no speed advantage on a WAN.)