Re: Circle's net protocol

From: d. hall (dhall@APK.NET)
Date: 11/10/97

: thus on Mon, 10 Nov 1997 07:54:27 -0800, Daniel virtually wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Sean Butler wrote:
-> Hrm..... I telneted just fine to this mud, are you sure it is UDP?
-> If so, these claims about needing a special client cant be true.
-> *ponder*

> I think whomever sent the original message about MUME gave the wrong
> idea.  MUME has several forwarding servers that conduct information
> between you and the MUD, hence it is a form of client (and server,
> actually, all-in-one).  The forwarding servers use TCP/IP to
> communicate with you, and UDP (assuming the person was right and MUME
> uses UDP at all) to communicate with the main server.  This is pure
> speculation based upon logging into MUME once, and seeing the massive
> amount of servers spread in a wide-area, and the claim that it uses
> MUME.  In other words, this is just another one of those things where
> it's how I would do it if I were in their shoes.  It's possible that
> I'm right, but it's (more?) possible that I'm wrong.

Pretty good guess, and from what I've heard, they use TCP/UCP server
gateways to distribute their load since direct TCP traffic to their servers
just wasn't an acceptable solution at that time.

Still may not be, overseas bandwidth is a VERY high commodity.

d.