Re: [INFO] Patches, FTP, and flying elephants.

From: Franco Gasperino (awe@CET.COM)
Date: 11/12/97

----------
> From: Desmond Daignault <tekdd@DTOL.DATATIMES.COM>
> To: CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca
> Subject: Re:  [INFO] Patches, FTP, and flying elephants.
> Date: Wednesday, November 12, 1997 9:17 AM
>
> On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Daniel O. Durant wrote:

> I have to disagree with this one. I didn't know anything about spec_procs
> at all until after looking at the castle code. And by the time I was able
> to easily create my own, ripping out the Castle and all it's associated
> spec_procs was cake. Perhaps removing a couple of zones that don't
provide
> an example of the various features of CircleMUD would be beneficial, but
> removing zones that clearly show how things like spec_procs work and
> interact with the playing of the mud would be unwise.

  Well, through everything in life, I have found that a few good examples
can
do wonders far above and beyond what an explanation can do. But
reverse engineering is also a terrible waste of time. I think that if there
were
fewer zones, fewer implimented spells and repetitive skills, and simply
some more documentation, with explanation and a few examples, everyone
would have a much easier and more efficient time learning it. The
documentation
for building areas is great. Explanations, examples, the works.
  The problem you run into with doing special proceedures is that there is
no right way to do it, no standard. Even trying to make a generic template
would be a narrow explanation of what they could do.
  It would be (in my opinion) best to rip them all out, and give a few
generic
examples in a file, while explaining where the proceedures are called from,
in battle, in walking around, in response to commands entered in a room,
ect. This would probably save people time from hunting down where to
find the mechanics of how they are called.

   Franco Gasperino
   Cutting Edge Communications
   http://www.cet.com/
   509-444-INET