Re: Regarding Medit Crashes

From: George (greerga@DRAGON.HAM.MUOHIO.EDU)
Date: 11/12/97

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer wrote:

>well the first two times after i run my mud, i couldn't figure out why i
>wasn't even getting the error message.  Then i realized that it was b/c i
>wasn't medit'ing a NEW mobile.  well, anyway, i finally got all setup, and
>tried my Damndest to Crash the Mud with Medit.

If you're using v1.5 you should not be able to. :)

>  Well, to my suprise, I couldn't crash the mud with Medit,

That's cool.

>What was the last known version of  libc (or whatever) that is known
>to crash on the FREE(mob_index); section, or a bit afterwards?

Everything after 5.3.12 or something like that will crash (because it is
the right thing to do).

>is using 5.4.33 or something like that, i'm not real sure how to find it.

ls -l /lib/libc.so.5.*

I use 5.4.33 for my testing and soon I'll go to 5.4.38 or 5.4.39 (can't
decide...5.4.39 isn't officially released yet) :).

>anyway, any insight as to why this finally works (and didn't before)?

OasisOLC v1.5?

>I've been thinking possibly it may crash on some systems b/c not enough RAM
>or something (that may have sounded like a statement that would have come
>from someone stupider than I, but it was all i could come up with at 12:30am)

It caused by any memory writes to that which you do not own or freeing it.
(My copy_room code in the generic olc code is currently very fond of them.)