Re: [OFF-TOPIC] OLC and Restricted shell

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 11/18/97

At 01:45 PM 11/18/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I want to let one or two people, besides myself, edit the code, but to do
>this they need the telnet access.
>
>I don't want them to have a full account on there, but a restricted shell
>that allows very few commands and restricts them to the /usr/local/mud
>directory.
>
>So far all I have found is resh and that isn't real good.  What do you
>people do and what do you suggest?

If you what to give out a restricted shell, you could consider creating a
chroot environment for them that only has commands they should be able to
access in it. (I think the "shell" for them in /etc/passwd would be
      chroot /path/to/restricted/root /bin/bash
Where /bin/bash would be relative to the path selected. Not that for this
to work you may need to copy all executables they will need to this root
(though you could change the real executables to sym-links to the ones
in the chroot directories to save space.

A much better (IMHO) method: tell them what they may and may not do and if
they violate your rules, just boot them.