Re: [Sockets and Win95]

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 12/01/97

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer wrote:

>question for Jeremy, or George (not really Circle-related, but it's close)
>
>Do either of you two guys know of any good references for coding
>sockets or TCP/IP type things in Win95 (I'm using Borland C++ 4.5)??
>I'm trying to write my own TCP/IP client, but Borland's
>compiler came with no documentation on sockets or anything else.

Do what CircleMUD does, in reverse. :) (ie: connect() instead of listen())

>  i realize coding sockets with C++ classes would probably be a good
>change, but is there any other real major differences/advantages
>that can be made from coding in C++??

Mother_desc = new Socket(5000);

I'd consider that cleaner than what we currently do. :)

>ch.get_name() seems like a bit of a waste to access a private member
>of the char_data class/struct.

You run into get/set a lot in C++.  Fortunately, it lets you do error
checking in those functions without having to duplicate the checks.

>Not to mention the major overhaul of all the util.h defines (of course
>i could get rid of those entirely with classes) but is it really worth it?

Hopefully we wouldn't have to change the code, just the defines at first.

>only other thing that would make it worth it,
>would be a possibly different parser for mobs and players.
>ie mobs are just players without char_special_data, right?
>so just make players a descendant of a MOB class.
>would make most of the stuff easier to access, in my mind.

Make a 'thing' class for objs/mob/pc, then 'character' class for mob/pc,
and then split mob/pc into their own classes.

>I could also have special objects descendants of the normal class.
>(shrug, just throwing that out there. not sure if that's worth it)

Nod, possible.

>but i think that the mob->player classes would be a nice change.

Already have a fairly workable PC/MOB distinction in the char_data
structure except for the fact we duplicate the mob/pc wait states.