Re: Connected Boards via sendmail (WAS: Re: Patches)

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 12/03/97

On Wednesday, December 03, 1997 2:50 PM, Will Andrews
[SMTP:ironwill@CARDINA.NET] wrote:
> >ObCircle:
> >Hum, there was some talk about message boards being 'connected' with the
> >sendmail and that messages could also be send to the foo@bar.org type
> >addresses... Did it became something more than just talks? :)
> This could probably be easily done using the system() function to help
> with using the command sendmail ;)
>
> As for the boards, they would probably need to have some options added so
> as to allow for sendmail usage.. and then, we'd also need a log(in case
> someone uses YOUR sendmail to "mail bomb" someone else ;).

Probably be better to create a script that runs as a cron job or in
a sleep loop to handle the message processing.

I've done some work on a message passing interface using a seperate
CON_ state. The "interface" user logs in and is automatically set to
the CON_INTERFACE state and can receive/process commands.

If I ever get this past the 'toy' stage I'll probably setup a second listen
socket to make it 'right'. But this suffices to test various methods
of message passing.

Something like this would be very useful for dns lookups, user@host
lookups and things like email gateways and remote olc programs.

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks