Re: Question regarding NPC Positions

From: Ryan Gasper or Steven Arnold (dalamar@CYBERCOM.NET)
Date: 12/06/97

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, John Evans wrote:

> No. The way you have stated that you are coding it, if someone gets in a
> fight, their position shifts from POS_FLYING to POS_FIGHTING. That means
> that they should plummet from the sky and bounce!

        I don't know why you typed this if you knew what my answer was
going to be.

> Oh. But you'll say that no people that are fighting will fall because
> you'll give them the benefit of doubt and assume that they were flying
> before they starting fighting. That means that if I time it right and
> keep fighting when the computer checks to see if I am flying, I can get
> _way_ up in the air without the benefit of a fly spell.

        No, you will stop fighting and plummet to your death. As of now,
the only way you can be flying is by being affected with a spell, that
gives you the ability to fly, though you can change positions between
flying and standing by typing fly. When the spell runs out, you fall,
fighting or not.

> Like I said from the start, AFF flags is the best way of handling fly.
> Check out waterwalk. Is there a POS_WATERWALK? No. There is an affect flag
> for it because you are affected by a spell! The same goes with flying.

        It you don't mind mixing stuff up, then do it your way, But I
prefer all positions to be treated as that, positions.

> But what about winged races? Well, to accomodate for those, I made the
> following macro (or something similar):
>
> #define IS_FLYING(ch) (IS_AFFECTED((ch), AFF_FLY) || \
>                        (GET_RACE((ch)) == RACE_BIRDMAN))

        I just have those races being able to fly whenever they want, by
changing to the flying position.

> Simple enough. No bother with positions or fighting the code to make sure
> that someone's POS_XXX doesn't get mangled or messed up. Also. What if
> the fly spell wears off while someone is fighing? You'll probably have to
> write some code to handle that.

        Yep, but who cares? If you don't like writing code, you shouldn't
be here (Not directed at you John, meaning just in general)

> All-in-all, AFF_FLY is _much_ better than POS_FLY.

        I am coding it off of what I think it is. To me, Fly is a
position. AFF_FLIGHT is the affect you must have to change into flying
position. I would prefer keeping spells affects/positions separate.
Whatever works.

> Also,
>         You mentioned something about POS_SWIMMING. Why? If they are in
> water, assume that they are swimming and go on.

        Well, I was referring to underwater. I mirrored swim just like
fly. Except swim is a skill. Depending how much you trained in it,
determines the amount of movement it takes to move from one room to
another. A person can then have Water Breath cast on them, allowing them
to go under water, but they cannot go underwater unless they are in the
swim position.

         /|"You will never see me cause    \/------------------\/|\
          | I'm always alone" -Ministry      dalamar@cybercom.net|
          |"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to   |
        _\|_time_with_the_blood_of_patriots_and_tyrants"_-ThomasJ|/_