Re: Oasis patches, and patches in general

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 12/08/97

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Rasmus Ronlev wrote:

>Yes, you're right, I do have a reason for the above 'NO' statement. I
>think, that the beauty of the way the CircleMUD community has worked so
>far is, that it has been releasing SMALL patches and snippets for a lot of
>different stuff. Small also includes 'big' things, such as OLC systems,
>that are kept to the 'absolute basics' namely OLC for the worldfiles and
>nothing more.

In certain cases, things (such as hedit, aedit, and maybe tedit) were meant
to be in the main distribution.  Other things (such as the improved editor)
should not be in it.  I'm trying to make things as optional as two steps:

1) Remove the option specific file (improved_editor.c, hedit.c, aedit,)
2) #define OASIS_HEDIT 0, or IMPROVED_EDITOR 0, etc.

>Then there are others offering various additional OLC's for social and
>helpfile editing, some system for guilds (haven't even looked at this :p),
>and a hell of a lot of other patches and snippets....

Which all make a mess out of the do_olc function.

>Especially since I like to read through the entire snippets/patches to see
>if it's something I'd like, if it's something I don't need after all, or
>something I could do better myself, and just use for the sake of a base
>idea or frame to build what I need on.

Frame:
rm hedit.c
emacs hedit.c

>I feel that putting all the existing online editors into the OasisOLC
>package is bad because it fundamentally does the opposite, to what I like
>:) It does make BIG chunks of stuff, where it becomes a big task to pick
>those small pieces you need from this BIG (re)source.

fgrep OASIS_HEDIT *.c

>This should also be considered when making things available in my
>oppinion, but ofcourse mine isn't the only one.... So... Everyone else, do
>what you like, I'll still be here no matter how George distributes
>OasisOLC 2.0 and how many (to me) lame questions the list spams me with,

I bet you'll gripe when I say I'm going to adapt OBuild to be in there too.
:)

Once v2.0 is released and tested, I may give up maintaining it and you can
pick up the job if you like.  I haven't decided if I will, but I'd still
let the new people use the address /CircleMUD/OasisOLC if they wanted.