Oasis patches, and patches in general

From: Rasmus Ronlev (raro94ab@STUDENT.ECON.CBS.DK)
Date: 12/08/97

Hi,

Since noone yet, has aired my point of view on releasing patches and
snippets on stuff, I'll do it myself (sort of obvious :) *grin*

The recent question from George wether or not to include various OLC
interfaces for this and that (social and help editors for one) as well as
more miscelenious stuff like the 'percentage' load chance thingie, into
the existing OasisOLC package should be a definite NO!

I already hear people screaming and moaning ,-) And unless I explain why
not, you'll probably flame me even more than you'll do anyway *cackle*

Yes, you're right, I do have a reason for the above 'NO' statement. I
think, that the beauty of the way the CircleMUD community has worked so
far is, that it has been releasing SMALL patches and snippets for a lot of
different stuff. Small also includes 'big' things, such as OLC systems,
that are kept to the 'absolute basics' namely OLC for the worldfiles and
nothing more.
Then there are others offering various additional OLC's for social and
helpfile editing, some system for guilds (haven't even looked at this :p),
and a hell of a lot of other patches and snippets....

The beauty of all this is, that it's mostly scattered in SMALL files, so
you can go select exactly those different parts of the available
(re)sources, that you want to add to your mud. This is one thing I love.
Especially since I like to read through the entire snippets/patches to see
if it's something I'd like, if it's something I don't need after all, or
something I could do better myself, and just use for the sake of a base
idea or frame to build what I need on.

I feel that putting all the existing online editors into the OasisOLC
package is bad because it fundamentally does the opposite, to what I like
:) It does make BIG chunks of stuff, where it becomes a big task to pick
those small pieces you need from this BIG (re)source.

I also feel it makes it a little too easy for those, who ought to get a
hard time *snicker* This has ofcourse been discussed a million times
before, but there's no doubt in my mind, that the more (re)sources that is
made available to the newboe John Doe, the bigger problems they'll get in
the end, and the more spam for help, we'll get on this list, on subjects,
that I do not wish to help anyone on.
I feel, that it should be a core competence of the people that ask coding
questions on this list, that they do know ore are trying VERY hard to get
to know how to code C, and how to code stuff on a mud. Recent questions on
this list have proven (as usual :), that it isn't everyone who does this.

This should also be considered when making things available in my
oppinion, but ofcourse mine isn't the only one.... So... Everyone else, do
what you like, I'll still be here no matter how George distributes
OasisOLC 2.0 and how many (to me) lame questions the list spams me with,
since I do enjoy helping those in need, when I think they're justified to
get an answer, because I myself need help once in a while, and because
there's a lot of other nice discussions going on once in a while, where I
can pick from them what I like, and use it in my mud =)

Regards,
Rand

.d
--
        Rasmus Ronlev DOEK'94           http://www.econ.cbs.dk/~raro94ab
             IT-Advisor               mailto:raro94ab@student.econ.cbs.dk

              B.Sc. Computer Science and Business Administration
          Stud. M.Sc. Computer Science and Business Administration