Re: To C++ or not to C++, that is the question!

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 12/12/97

On 12/10/97 12:21 AM, Eric Green (thrytis@IMAXX.NET) stated:

>I wish i had commited to using C++ much much sooner than i did, because
>it would have greately simplified the script code.  (I didn't realize at
>the time how easy it was to get Circle to compile with g++.)  I used
>C++ to reimplement the scripts on another mud, which cut down on the
>code quite a bit because i no longer had to do three copies of a lot
>of stuff for rooms, mobs, and items.

Since scripts are now a big part of my MUD (along with a nice spot in the
credits mentioning your names :-), I am curious to know what you mean by
"three copies".  I looked through the code recently (in fact added the
ability to access individual words in %arg% like: %arg.1% or %arg.5%),
and am confused as to what you mean by that.

BTW, the scripts are really nice, I sent the DG-to-C port I made to Chris
Powell, he is working on a patch against stock for it.

Right now I'm also going through and updating to C++.  I've decided I
might as well, since I can program either language, and anything that
will help clean up the code would be nice :-)

- Chris Jacobson