Re: 'Guild' Inanity

From: Blue Lang (blue@CALICO.GATOR.NET)
Date: 12/26/97

> >It's the quality factor.  Anyone can unzip or untar the MUD.  It takes
> >special effort to strive for something new, even more to apply it all
> >to a MUD and make it click together.  And there are many more problems
> >to deal with in a MUD than coding, many of these are often considered
> >off-topic on this list, and understandably so.
> >
> Question. Where would this guild be held? On your mud? Or are you
> considering something like InterMUD? Lets just say there's only one other

Ow. Harsh.

I realize, of course, that this list isn't really 'designed' to be coding
banter all the time, but that's what it is. Those are the questions that
get answered most often and with the most alacrity, and, well, from JE's
description of what he wants to get out of and offer forth with CircleMUD,
that seems appropriate.

Really, why are you guys getting bent out of shape about another
list/service for muds and mudders? If it's good, then great. If not, then
no one will use it.

This list _IS_ elitist, if not in theory then definitely in practice. On
the other hand, there are some pretty amazingly good things that come out
of it.

I really don't think that a list who's aim is enhancing the playing aspect
of the game is a bad idea. I won't join it personally, because that's not
the kind of thing I usually feel like arguing about, and because I've seen
what happens on usenet when some idiot says something like "I think
alignment is stupid," and then you get two months worth of unreadable
drivel on the role of Catholicism in european economic development. woo!

--
Blue Lang, Head Technician, Gator.Net
blang@gator.net          352.378.9998