Re: map, the lesser.

From: StormeRider (silk@ICI.NET)
Date: 12/29/97

At 03:57 PM 12/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> >you don't REALLY want to make a billion four exit rooms, do you? shouldn't
>> >parts of the wilderness not be accessable?
>> >
>> 80x80 rooms for the virtual map. Certain ones wont be accessible without
>> certain skills/abilities (like water breathing etc.).
>
>yes, but, what i'm saying is that that's the wrong way to do it.. that's a
>lot of lookups for something as ubiquitous as movement.. and it's silly to
>have rooms that you can't move in to.. (ie NW NE SW SE).
>
>and, if you have the 4 exit method, you can't LOOK into a bunch of rooms
>that you can SEE. silly, silly, silly!

Not sure I know what you mean on this one.

>all of this actually brings up a question:
>
>How many people on this list MUD with any regularity? I play part-time on
>about 5 muds and look at at least 1 or 2 new muds every week.. I
>sometimes get a feeling that a lot of people on the list have played one
>or two muds and then jumped right in to trying to run one.. A good C
>programmer does not always a good IMP make, IMHO. A poor programmer..
>well.. We've all seen firsthand how THAT goes. :) Seriously, for both of
>the people thinking of adding this feature, go find a mud that uses it,
>look at it, see if YOU like it, and THEN inflict it on the morts. It'll
>save you a lot of headache compared to writing it three times.

Go to cshadow.net 4000, is the same style MUD as I am developing, they have
it there and the morts like it. And so do I, and I'm echoing it.

>Speaking from experience,
Don't assume we arent either.

StormeRider                  --- http://www.windsofstorm.net/wos/
silk@ici.net                 --- telnet://cmoo.com:4004