Re: Newbie unix question

From: Patrick Sullivan (psullivan@STLNET.COM)
Date: 02/06/98

>    Is there anyway to make the autorun script run  without being
>constantly logged in?

1) please turn off html in the future...it kinda screws up some email readers.
2) this is covered in the faq, so please read up on that. However, the
answer to your question is to run the following in the circle directory

nohup ./autorun &

It will give you the process id for the autorun script, and use ps to find
the circle one before you log out. This is in case you need to kill it in
the future and at least on my server 'ps' only lists currently running ones
(i.e. not ones you started on another tty), and 'top' is a pain to use. Oh
yeah, you'll have to hit return/enter after you type in that command to get
nohup loggin to run in the backround as well.

        /  Patrick Sullivan      | "The important thing is
*//////{<>==================-    |  to not stop questioning."
-JAPH-  \  psullivan@stlnet.com  | --Albert Einstein

"Always do what you are afraid to do."--Ralph Waldo Emerson