Re: [CODE/IDEA] Invasion/ElectricFence

From: Wesley Fonvergne (tadrith@GATEKEEP.NET)
Date: 03/06/98

        About the invasion thing -- yes, it can happen both ways, the way I've
done it. I have a new imm command called siege, and you simply input the
town name that you want to siege, and it will cause an invasion at the
town...but I was also thinking, perhaps it needn't be once a month. Why not
simply make a 1 in 300 chance of an invasion happen and roll a random
number every tick? Of course, that might be way too little as far as odds
go, but I'm sure you could find a happy medium. It would take some
adjusting, but could do well. The code currently picks the MOB randomly,
out of a specified set of "invasion only" mobs. These MOBs are updated
every 1 second (yes, it's NOT too fast), to make it seems as if they are
really invading. In order to stop EVERY mob from gong crazy, I added an
INVASION flag on mobs, and only those mobs are updated so quickly. For the
invasion pulse, I just copied the mobile_activity pulse, and made some
modifications according to my needs. As soon as I can devise myself a
practical hunting method (maybe...I'm not sure, letting them run around
blindly might not be too bad.), then I can make it a little more fancy.
There will be an announcement of invasion such as:

The town cryer shouts, 'A host of Trolls are headed this way! Prepare to
attack!'

And then have like a 3 or 4 minute timer before they actually arrive and
attack.
                [ Tadrith Skandrakae, Implementor of Dreamscape ]
                [     - telnet://mud.dreamscape.org:1234/ -     ]
                ["I lay my dreams before your feet;             ]
                [    tread softly, for you tread on my dreams.  ]