Re: Tagged Mob/Obj/etc files & Inheritance

From: Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer (doomer@BAYOU.COM)
Date: 03/08/98

At 05:06 PM 3/8/98 -0000, you wrote:
>FIRST OFF:
>Has anyone here considered doing tagged object/mob/world/etc files?

  Yes.

>Example:

 from what I did, you are forced to keep the Room_Vnum done like #1200
for sake of parsing (knowing where the room begins)

>Alis: Jake cat feline kitty kitten~
  for things like this, i changed the tag_argument() function
to allow for anything from   Shrt:  to   Short_Description_For_This_Room:

>Shrt: Jake~
>Long: Jake, FearItself's cat, is here.~
>

>I was wondering if anyone has done this, because I am about to take the
>plunge.  I am sick of the static database structures, and need something
>more expandable/changeable.

well, it's possible, but i give you fair warnings:
1) Make backup of your source before you begin this because you
   gotta change the saving features of your OLC first (if you have it)
   and then do the loading.
2) if you save flag data as strings PLEASE don't  atoi(line);
   next time.  that was my big mistake upon doing mobs and objs
   All objects had to be redone or you couldn't TAKE them (the wear flags got
    messed and mob's aff_flags)
3) when doing the mobs, get rid of parse_simple_mob
   and incorporate the parse_enhanced_mob into the tags (BareHandAttack:)
     that was the reason for having a variable length tag.

>Second, inheritance.  In this, I mean the beginning of the mob info
>(#vnum) would have an extension that would mark which mob it inherits its
>information from.

  Cool idea, but I don't think i'm going to try it,
  but remember (this regards all obj/mob/... but rooms are for example),
  unless you changed something in the real_xxxx() routines, you can't
  use the real_xxxx() functions for this b/c attempting to do so will
  be accessing info that hasn't been filled in yet, you just gotta get lucky
  finding the xxxx Vnum yourself :-P

Good luck to ya.

Code On
Akuma the Raging Coder

  | "The poets talk about love, but what I talk about is DOOM, |
  |      because in the end, DOOM is all that counts." -       |
  |   Alex Machine/George Stark/Stephen King, The Dark Half    |
  |        "Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, Just IMPROBABLE"            |
  |   "Easier Said Than Done, But Better Done Than Said..."    |