Lil Oasis-like problem.

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 03/11/98

        Had a quick question, maybe someone out there has dealt with
already..

        When I was writing the oasis interface for the path information
(path editor), I had a few situations where I generated a string in the
following fashion:

        sprintf(buf,"1) Time: "
                    "2) Type: "
                    "3) Action: ",
                    parse_time(),
                    parse_type(),
                    parse_action());

        Wel, something like that  - the parse_* functions are all of my
own making, and all return a string pointer... now, i know (and happy
mister compiler bitches) not to return a local pointer (a parse function
with buf[SIZE] defined), and if I use a single global buf (like, buf),
then things get messy... well in any case, is this the 'correct' style...

char *one_of_my_functions(int nothing) {
  char mybuf[SIZE];

  switch(nothing) {

    case 1:
      sprintf(mybuf,"NOTHING IS ONE");
      break;
    case 2:
      sprintf(mybuf,"NOTHING IS TWO");
      break;
    default:
      sprintf(mybuf,"DieDieDie!!!");
  }

  return strdup(mybuf);
}

        OR is there something prettier that I'm overlooking...

                                                PjD