Re: MSP Sound

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 03/20/98

>yes, but this put some problems in the use of MSP...
>to have a function that send msp code in the output, i have to predefine
>each msp sound in the same way i define the ANSI colors (i think you mean a
>sort fo parse_color cloned with msp commands instead of ansi colors).
>But in this way, i can't:

Similar, but not the same.  My color code works like this "&+g" does
green.  Let's say the MSP code works like this, "&M(xxxxx)"  is sent to
the parser (probably can even have a patch within the parse_color to
branch off if sees that the code is MSP) and then it sends !!MUSIC(xxxxx)
to the player, IF they have the appropriate flags.  This may sound like a
lot of work, but it's a heck of a lot less work than the method of
extracting, and a lot less prone to crashing.

>1) use new sounds without first recompile the src

The above method solves that.  It basically just copies what's between
the ()'s and sends that....all it does is decide whether to send it, and
prepends the proper command.

>2) let users recall sounds in emote,tell,say whitout telling them each time
>the relative &xx corresponding to the sound

That version above will do that.

>3) let use user defined sounds (two player exchanging sounds not in use in
>the mud), because if the use the sound to a player
>without the msp_sound flag, that player will see the command (and i don't
>want this to happen).

Actually, the method above will.

>So i still think that the best way (even if difficult to implement) to
>archieve the MSP sound in the mud, is to strip that sound from the buffer
>before sending to the player, letting builders and players to use new
>sounds "on the fly".

I cringe every time I think of doing something like this.  I have a
'stripper' that will remove selected words from someone's tells (like
swears) but I don't like the idea.  Personally, in that case, I would
rather just bleep it out...same length, just bleeped out.  ;)  If you
want, I can post that, and you can work from there.

"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press