Re: [code] vt100/ansi definitions

From: Patrick J. Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 03/24/98

> BTW.. Anyone using RIP?
>
> My understanding is that you need the following to write a rip based mud:
>
> 1) Players who _buy_ a copy of the proprietary terminal app (which lacks mud
> client features and costs money)
>
> 2) A server license to use the proprietary protocol.
>
> Am I right? dead wrong?

        Dunno - somewhere I have a pascal-written RIP mud for a bbs, so I
suppose you could dike out the protocol, and I'm pretty sure that the
standard RIPterm dosen't have to be registered to work properly.  As a
matter of fact, I believe that the ripterm 'manual' (how to make graphics
for the ripterm bbs) includes a how-to to get the protocols to work, and
its around in a electronic format.

        Now, as to whether its all legal or not, I'd doubt that its too
much on the side of wrong.  RIP was nice, but not popular enough that
anyone actually _cared_ if it was running, and therefore the producers of
it didn't have enough leeway to force people to buy licenses. No one I
knew had any at least.
                                                PjD