Re: Roleplaying vs. H&S (was Consider)

From: claywar (claywar@RJSONLINE.NET)
Date: 04/10/98

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Tony Maro wrote:

> Without levels, how then, do you handle advancement of HP, SP & MP?  I'm
> very curious.  Do your characters effectively stay at "level 1" in the code, or
> do they advance silently in the code, but based on the strength of their skills
> rather than xp?

The guild system we use solves most of the problems.  In essence,
experience is the currency for advancement.  In guilds players can choose
to raise their hmv as same as normal skills.  Cost is determined by how
much they currently have/amount given.  We, for the longest time, had a
100 level system, so when the time came to remove levels, 100 levels could
very easily be transferred to 100% of a skill.  Going skills based also
gives mortals more "things" to advance in than just one value.

Technically all mortals are level 1, and above that (to 15) is the staff
levels.  The value was kept to store ToHit information and to keep basic
sanity of the matter =).  As for strength, there are still the basic
stats, but advancing them costs a large amount of experience (which as
well can be done in your local guild).

Faras@Morgaelin         :: mud.dwango.com 3000
claywar@rjsonline.net   :: http://anyhost.simplenet.com/morgaelin