Re: Non character sourced spells

From: John Evans (evansj@HI-LINE.NET)
Date: 04/15/98

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Doppleganger Software wrote:

> Well, the problem is that as it stands, only players can cast spell.
> There needs to be a caster and a victim (if it's a victim based spell)
> Without the caster, it just falls apart.  If there is a snippet that
> allows you to have non-sourced spells (like say a trap that casts a
> spell) PLEASE tell me, I am looking into adding spell casting
> capabilities to my traps.

As opposed to re-vamping the entire spell-casting routines to allow
objects to cast spells, I basically duplicated all of my spellcasting
code for traps and made it so that an object was the caster. Not that
hard, just tons of work and tons of code. It's probably a horrid way of
doing it because of all the duplicated code, but that's how I did it and
it works.

John Evans <evansj@hi-line.net>  --  http://www.hi-line.net/~evansj/

  -- Arthur C. Clarke