Re: [Newbie] Telnet GA

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 04/15/98

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Bradley D. Hartin wrote:

->I have a problem where sometimes the mud will display text right next to
->the prompt.  i.e.:
->
->I've seen many muds that have an option for turning on sending of a telnet
->GA sequence.  First, what exactly is it and what does it do?  Second, is
->this what I'm looking for to remedy my problem?  From my experience, I
->believe it may have at least something to do with it.

The GA sequence is the "go ahead" sequence.  Some clients might like
it, but it generally does nothing.  Irregardless, it's trivial to add.

Three steps:
  * At the top of comm.c add: char ga_string[] = { (char) IAC, (char)
     GA, (char) 0 };
  * Add a PRF_GA flag (if you can't do that, hit yourself with a
    frying pan...hard)
  * At the end of make_prompt(), just before "return prompt;" add:
    if (d->character && PRF_FLAGGED(d->character, PRF_GA))
      strcat(prompt, ga_string);

Should take ~5 minutes, the bulk of the work being adding the flag and
a command to toggle it off/on (and that's no big thing).  It may or
may not help you.

-dak