Re: Circlemud design issues

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 04/22/98

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>         One of the things I liked to do is to edit a single pfile, and
> then have that person login.. the changes apparently take place
> immediately (baring that which is in the player index load that is the
> convienet workaround for loading up a whole file, just for basic info on a
> person like name and level), and its easy.  If every player is moved to
> one pfile, won't this cause problems or be impossible as sharing
> violations would erase any changes... it would every time status of a
> character is saved, and thats usually more frequently than even a simple
> search and replace takes..

Sorry let me clear that up.  I'd never put all players in a single ascii
file.  That would be too much trouble for the reasons you've mentioned.
What I was referring to (in cutting down inode usage), was to combine
objects and mail in a person's pfile.  Since each player has their own
rent file in stock circle, this option would effectively make inode usage
about equal.

Sam