Re: More Directions Please [NEWBIE]

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 04/30/98

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Tris wrote:

->With respect how do you know its not required by most people?

Well, I assumed that because most CircleMUDs I've seen don't have
them, most don't want them.  In the MUDs I have seen them implemented
in, it was put to rather poor or rare use.

->Personally I still think its better to have all exits coded with the option
->to exclude should you so choose.

I completely disagree with this design philosophy.  It's much easier
to add things than to remove them (in general), and CircleMUD
shouldn't start supplying features and saying, "Take them out if you
don't want them."  It's for the MUD coder to add features like this if
they want them, not Jeremy.

->I also disagree with this also in that I believe if used correctly they do
->make for more realistic worlds, e.g. to get to ne IRL, you don't go n and
->then e, you go ne...

Well, IRL, unless you have a compass or can tell direction by the
position of stars or the sun, you don't move using the cardinal
directions at all.  And frankly, there's no reason to add "northeast"
if it's just going to be the same as "n;e".

-dak