Re: [Newbie] [Code]

From: Phooey182 (Phooey182@AOL.COM)
Date: 05/04/98

<< I guess this would go under code,
 but is there a way to telnet to your own computer?
 (aka, still play a MUD on your computer, without anybody else being able
 to get on)

 It would be useful. >>

Yup, there is a way.  Simply telnet to 'localhost 4000'.  The port number is
4000 by default, but you can change it to anything you want.  I think the
numerical telnet address would be 127.00.0.0 (I think I am missing a '0').
You don't even need to be connected to the net.  Just get a telnet program
like EWAN or ZMUD.  Then, get the mud code running on your computer.  Once it
is running, you can use the telnet program to connect to your own computer.

This is a great way to test your MUD in the early stages.  There's no point in
putting it up on the net until you are ready for beta testing, OR unless you
have coders and builders.  But, IMHO, too many cooks spoil the broth.

Phooey
"Yea, I'm on AOL. Wanna make something of it?"