Re: Extra output in combat from Daniel Koepke at "May 8, 98 07:32:55 am"

From: AxL (axl@MINDWARP.PLYMOUTH.EDU)
Date: 05/08/98

> ->        send_to_char(buf, ch);
>
> What's buf here?  Since the long description is coming up _before_ the
> miss message and this send_to_char(buf, ch); isn't in stock code it
> seems to be the culprit.

        Damn.  I experimented with adding actual damage numbers to combat
awhile ago...

You hit the mercenary extremely hard. [13]

        ...like that.  I soon realized how horrible it is to give players
info like that.  They become statisticans more than mudders. :)  So I
yanked it all out, but apparently not all of it.  *sigh* Silly silly me,
thanks for the help.

        By the way, has anyone ever had it so the player gets virtually
_no_ numerical information at all?  Hitpoints are rated like "healthy",
"moderately healthy", "wounded", "critical", etc... and so on for other
things?
        So far I have done this (I call it "analog", and have posted parts
of it I think) for stats, alignment, armor class, and encumbrance.  I'm
curious if anyone has implemented or played at a mud where everything is
in an analog-type mode, and how the players liked/reacted to it.
--
-AxL, axl@wpcr.plymouth.edu - SysOp, RPM Director, WPCR Plymouth, 91.7 FM
 "Discriminate against the next fashion sucker you meet....it's a raver!"