Re: newbie start room

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 06/12/98

> Does anyone have any ideas how to make a newbie start room and to make a
> door in that room only open when they read a object?
> i know this maybe newbie, but i wanted the newbie to not be able to leave
> the newbie start room till they read an object(Object == My Muds Help
> book), I also wanted it to check the newbies site and cross reference with
> the other players sites, so this way if the newbie may be a regular on the
> mud, it just opens the door. Does anyone have any ideas how to make this
> work?

        Though its usually impossible to tell if a person is the same
person based on the ip address (specially since most people use either a
university where many people connect from the same site, or dynamic
addressing from their dial up provider), you could simply have a message
in the character creatation cycle that asks if they've ever played here
before. If not, display the learner book, and then continue with the
process..

        Thats simple, and otherwise, you'd have to write a spec proc,
which it dosen't sound like you could do - no offense.

        To make a newbie start room, simply have the charater be loaded to
a room based on level, or something like that

   if(GET_LEVEL(ch) ==1) {
     char_to_room(ch,3020);
   }
     again, in interpreter.c, in the character creation process.

                                                PjD