Re: Using player awards and honors etc..

From: Sammy (samedi@DHC.NET)
Date: 06/14/98

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Chuck Carson wrote:

> Also, just throwing around some more ideas, does anyone see any major
> problems with such an idea as this:
>
> Instead of having one description field for each exit use three.
>
> This way if the exit is a door and it is closed, they see something
> like:
>
> You see a closed door.
>
> If the exit is a door and it is opened they see this:
>
> Through the open door you can see a dirt path. (provided they can see
> in that room)
>
> Then if there is an exit but no door:
>
> You can see a dirt path.
>
> Something to that effect, it would require a shitload of world file
> conversions but I think it would add to the game a good bit.

I'm not sure I understand.  Circle (at least the pl12 code I just peeked
at) already works this way for the most part.  Unless I'm
misunderstanding, all you need is a little rework of look_in_direction().

> I really admire the LPmuds ability to display different room
> descriptions
> based on various checks. (for exmaple, the shopkeeper is lying there
> dead, a
> room description would be displayed that described this)

Change the color and the text of corpse room descriptions and circle can
do this much.  It's not very versatile, but it's a start.

Sam