Re: Calculating Speed and Combat Rounds

From: Cervo (chrisf@PTD.NET)
Date: 06/27/98

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Tony Robbins wrote:

> I've made a calculate speed function which takes a character and returns
> a number based on the following stuff:
> * begin with a 2 dice roll with 2 sides as to make 3 most likely
> * add weight (total) of what they are carrying / 30 (i feel this is bad)
> * weight (total) of what they are wearing / 60 (i feel this is bad)
> * a speed bonus based upon their dexterity (range of +2 -> -2)
> * It must be at least one and at most five.
  Actually it seems pretty good, although what they are wearing should
slow them down a bit more, as well as what they are carrying , maybe the
weight of what they are wearing / 40 and the weight of what they are
carrying / 20 or something like that.  Anyway there should also be a
penalty for strength, as well as an incrase in speed for int, as they
would probably arrange the things they are carrying more intellegently and
in a better order to give them more freer movement, and quicker reactions,
due to their enhanced intellegence.  Constitution would also enable them
to move a little faster without being tired.

As far as the exccessive calls to pulse violence, I'm thinking it might be
a cool idea to maybe create the function that pulses violence, as a
thread, and include damage and hit in that thread, this way it wouldn't
have such a profound effect on the mud's performance.