Re: Selling CircleMUD

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 07/10/98

On 7/10/98 2:55 PM, James Turner (turnerjh@XTN.NET) stated:

>I agree completely.  I have zero intention of making money from the
>work I've done on my code, as I'm sure are many others.  But we live
>in a world of greed.  People have, and will continue to, make money
>from legal loopholes.  My comments were not meant as some way so that
>I could weasel a way through the Circle license; they were meant to
>help spur Those With Power to perhaps, if they feel it is necessary,
>seek legal advice on a properly written license.
>
>Please don't ascribe motives to me that simply aren't present.
>
>My mentality is similar to those who find bugs/loopholes in code that
>can be exploited.  Find the problem and report it before others begin
>to take advantage of it.  I myself have no desire to weasel through
>the licenses on Circle or Diku, but it's a sad fact that others do.

Rather than using Circle to directly gain money, do what I did: Use it to
indirectly get a job!  I use my work and my v. popular sci fi MUD (of
which I am solo coder) as an example/reference when applying for contract
programming jobs.  It helped me land a contract writing a graphical
online game, and I'm making $3k/mnth at it (DREAM JOB!)

- Chris Jacobson