Re: RPC Info was: Resolving "daemon"

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 07/16/98

At 07:02 PM 7/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> Very; in fact, with the possible exception of Windows 95 and straight DOS,
>> I'm not aware of any system that doesnt have RPC's. It's on every real
flavor
>> of Unix, its on Win NT, (might not be on MacOS), and it's on a menagerie of
>> embedded operating systems as well :)
>
>What function calls?  Is it pre-installed, or a library available from
>somehere?  I'd like to see some info on this before I go out and buy a
>book.

http://hpccsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov:8080/library/all/SR-2089

I found that URL as an RPC reference manual on the net... I haven't looked
at it but it can probably tell you more than I can. At the "generally used"
level of RPC's, there are not very many function calls for you.

The typical programming cycle for using RPC's is to:
        1) define the data structures to be used in your protocol
            define the functions the server makes available to the client
        these definitions go into a ".x" file, which is "compiled" with
"rpcgen"
           -- rpcgen creates a .h and 3 source files; 1 for the server, 1
for the client, 1 for both

   2) write your server routines (the main() call is created for you by
rpcgen)

   3) have the client (your circleMUD or other client) call clnt_create()
to attach
          to the server, then it calls what appear to be local subroutines,
but in the
          rpcgen-created client stub, they handle the networking for you.