Re: [CODE]

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 07/17/98

> Hey all,
>  been wrestling with some odd ball errors. First one is a vfprintf that I
> cannot locate. Debugger output is as follows:
> #0  0x4003623b in _IO_vfprintf ()
> #1  0x4003a93a in _IO_vsprintf ()
> #2  0x80f436c in buf ()
>
> Any ideas?

  Let me make a guess - since I don't remember seeing the buf() function
before... and the _IO_vfprintf() calls are from something like a printf
file.. I would check the in that buf function, that you have the correct
number of arguments for each replacement for your printf calls...
ie:
sprintf(buf,"Name:%s Age:%d",GET_AGE(ch));  which obviously has the wrong
# of arguments.. I think i've been able to get this sort of error once or
twice before in similar circumstances..

> Next problem, malloc error debug trace is about the same. Could it be a
> low level LINUX error??

        If you have an error when you malloc, you have a big problem.  The
only linux-specific error from mallocing that I remember is that RedHat
used to ship its distribution with all its libs pre-compiled for a Cyrix
686 chipset... You'll have to recompile your libs in that case.
Otherwise, you may be running out of memory.  Thats believable, i've done
it before with a few machines...

> Last problem, too many open files, same level of detail as previous debug
> output.
>
> Patch level 12, OasisOLC 1.5, ASCII PFILE system, LINUX kernel 2.0.33.

        Probably a bit more detail, actually.  I'll make a guess.. you're
running patch level 12, so you've had ascii files for a while.  You
probably haven't added the fix for the load_char() routine (i think thats
the one).  If you notice, it opens the player file, and then quits without
closing it.  You'll eventually run out of files.

                                                PjD