Re: [Fluff] MGP? <199807310826.CAA12354@selenite.tzc.com>

From: Kevin Doherty (kdoherty@JURAI.NET)
Date: 07/31/98

Thus spake Doppleganger Software <doppsoft@TZC.COM>:
>>MSP (Mud Sound Protocol, for the unknowing) seems to have caught on (well, a
>>little bit :p)... What thoughts have ye all about an MGP (guess what 'G'
>>stands for :p)?  'Twould be trivial to implement a toggleable gif viewer in a
>>mud client (at least on Win32) to show static or animated gifs. You know,
>>nothing ground shaking (What is this-- Ultima Online?), maybe just display a
>>series of pictures in combat like "!!PIC(mobattacks.gif)...
>>!!PIC(yougethit.gif)... !!PIC(youattack.gif).. !!PIC(youmiss.gif)".. you get
>>the idear. Maybe even multiple viewers (self, weapon, opponent).. -shrug-
>I have thought of this as well.  It is a great concept.  You don't need
>to have pics like what you suggested, but perhaps pictures of certain key
>people, special weapons, and such.  However, in keeping with the fun of
>MSP, you could also do !!MOV() for short clips (say a ship taking off) or
>even quicktime MIDI music.  :)

While the general concept isn't bad, going through the mud's port is. A
better idea would just be to provide MMP (Mud Multimedia Protocol) that
isn't defined through just triggering on text but connecting to a seperate
port on the machine. Doing authentication would be pretty easy cause the
code's already there for it, and communicating between the processes
wouldn't be too tough either. For each instance where a multimedia bit is
appropriate, the mud itself sends a message to the MMP process (through a
pipe or socket or your IPC package of choice), and if the player has
logged into the MMP server, the MMP process sends it otherwise it ignores
the request. That way text mudding is completely unchanged if you don't
use it.

(BTW- I'd suggest the acronym MGP as Multimedia Gaming Protocol, but MMP
is probably best to avoid confusion if people still consider Mud Graphics
Protocol to be reasonable).

--
Kevin Doherty, kdoherty@jurai.net
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."